Friday, May 20, 2011

My Urban Farm 2011

my garden is so small compared to last years, but, it is very manicured compared to last years. i have potatoes, onions, pole beans, petite pan squash, tomatoes, bell peppers, arugula, asparagus, raspberries, and herbs. the asparagus has had it's week of picking and now it is just growing. this year i dug a trench around the garden and put flat cement bricks around to keep grass out. it has helped a lot. i also am gardening in the chicken coop wintering site. it is a fertilized soil dream. the bees live close to the garden, i hope it helps. i have the 2 hives close to each other, but not too close. there is a big galvanized bucket between them for the bees fresh water. i also put styrofoam peanuts in the water to give the bees floating islands to land on to drink. since this is their new home they have a big mason jar of sugar water shoved in each of their entrances to feed them and make them happy. i wish i could sit out there and watch them but i have to give them their room for right now. i can't wait till they are firmly established so i can sit out there and watch them fly in and out. i swear, watching my chickens outside is one of the most relaxing things i love to do, they entertain me to no end! now i have these insects i am in love with to watch. i have this small working urban farm. it makes me so happy, it makes me feel like i am doing something good for me. besides the hours of endless entertainment my chickens, bees, and garden give me, the nutritional gifts i am given in return are amazing.

No comments: