Thursday, January 27, 2011

Am I Becoming My Mom?

i never thought i was like my mom. i still don't, well i kinda don't. okay, let's be honest here, i was going to talk about seed catalogs and fabric. they are 2 of my addictions. then i realized i was giddy about seed catalogs and buying seeds, and planning my garden. i looked around me and saw all the booklets filled with seeds, i could be at my parent's house. then there is the whole fabric thing. where did i learn how to stalk fabric online? where did my taste for marimekko come from? this all stems from my MOM.....oh goodness. guess who i go to beekeeping with. yup, my mom.
when i was little i remember running around a back yard with a raised garden. there was always something growing at our house, if it wasn't food it was plants, bulbs, trees, flowers. when i moved out on my own it just seemed normal to have a garden. i planted tomatoes, bell peppers, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and my ex-husband always planted roses for me. i planted a tree and cannas, then dug up the cannas because they spread like wildfire. i always have something growing, now i have a bigger house and my garden has only grown bigger too. corn, okra, asparagus, peas, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, raspberries, and blackberries, i love to garden. i love to have my hands in the dirt with the sun beating down on my back. i can only assume i get this from my mom. my mom does more flowering plants now than vegetation. she knows everything about plants, she does have a degree in botony.
then there is the fabric obsession. i have to be careful. it is so easy to go out of control when buying fabric. there are so many beautiful choices out there, and for a pretty penny too. my mom sewed me dresses from when i was very little to when i was about 12, i think. she also knit me blankets; i love yarn as well. she use to drag me to fabric stores when i was little, i remember climbing in the middle of those bolt holders, hiding from her. fabric shopping with my mom was so boring, i had to do something to take up my time. the girls hate it when i tell them we are going to the fabric store, it's like i'm taking them to go get shots or something. how can i get mad at them, i can almost relate. buying fabric feels naughty to me now, like a forbidden love. but no one forbade me, i just think it is the $12 a yard price tag that comes with the decent looking fabric choices. and i can't just buy one yard, like i can't just eat one potato chip. you know what i'm talking about.
i don't know if i'm becoming my mom, or if it has always been me. but if i am becoming my mom, i'm glad it is she i am becoming, because you know what? my mom rocks.